Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.
If i'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When i'm sixty-four...
It's one of my many favorite Beatles songs. I've often thought about what life will be like when I am "old." Yesterday my eyes were opened to one delightful possibility.
Picture something similar to this:

Now picture ME doing water aerobics with about 30 of these energetic folks- the only person under the age of 64. Now imagine a little elderly man waving a squishy water toy in my face and saying "Are you with us?" I say, "Sure." Before I know it, that squishy toy has been thrown at the back of my head. As we do the grapevine these toys are flying through the air. Someone gets hit, they pick it up, look around for someone grinning at them, and then chuck it back- mostly girls against boys. One lady told me- "The 10:00 class is the crazy class. People come to this one just to see us old folks have a great time." Another lady mumbled "These men act like 6th graders," as she was getting ready to hurl a ball back at a grinning man on the other side of the pool. At one point, I got a bucket full of water dumped right over my head. Perhaps it wasn't the greatest workout I've ever had- the instructor could not even be heard at times due to all the splashing. (She got nailed pretty good a few times as well.) But I had a GREAT time and had some pretty good shots myself. I never thought I would ever intentionally throw an object at an elderly person's head who wasn't even looking. I now feel ok about it as long as they threw one at me first. Note to self: When I am 64, join a water aerobics class.
3 comments:
This post made me laugh so hard. That sounds totally hilarious . . . and you described it so well, I feel like I was there:).
I heard you are still not feeling well . . . and possibly worse. I am thinking about you and I really hope you start feeling better.
-Leslie
That's awesome. It's always been one of my dreams to throw things at old peoples heads, I'm extremely envious of you now.
Oh, Jess! You made me bust up laughing! That was honestly the best post! So funny. I can just imagine those mischievous elderly people pulling those cheap shots. I'm glad you slipped in a couple yourself....and I'm glad you felt okay about it. ;)
Post a Comment